Essential Oils for Pain Relief
Pain; there are many different kinds, and there are many different ways to deal with it. There are so many places pain can appear, and so many ways it can come about. In this blog we will talk about how to ease pains ranging from sore throats to joint pains and muscle pains.
Of course, these methods or recipes are not clinically proven to cure diseases, and should not be used as a substitute for any medications that a doctor prescribes; but these methods have been around for much longer than many pharmaceutical drugs, so they have been the go-to pain medicines for much longer than modern synthetic methods.
History of pain relief and ailment treatments
Historically, essential oils have always been used in pain relief and ailment treatments. Before they had modern western medicine, before you get medicines at pharmacies, people had to make their own medicine, and use what the Earth gave them. Through millennia and millennia of discovering and learning about medicines, people have come to know many things about how to ease pain and relieve discomfort. For example, the ancient Egyptians used to treat headaches with a recipe of natural ingredients including plant extracts! They were a very advanced civilization, and so was their knowledge of treating ailments and curing many diseases. Much of the knowledge that we have today about natural remedies and such come from generations upon generations teaching each other these remedies!
Today, since we have the best technology in history, we are able to find out exactly what it is that makes an ingredient have an effect on the body, and why the body responds to these things the way it does, etc. (something the Egyptians would have loved! haha). For that reason, we know with certainty which essential oils and many natural ingredients can help which ailment and why. So, we can be confident when treating ourselves with 100% pure, natural essential oils and known natural remedies that we are doing our bodies a favor!
Now, we will talk about what kinds of pain you can relieve using essential oil blends, and how and when to use them. We always recommend that you talk to your doctor about using natural remedies and alternative methods of treating pain, etc. and consult with her/him about what oils and/or remedies you will be using. It is always a good idea to get a professional opinion and “okay” before beginning anything that comes to your health, or treating yourself for pain.
Essential Oils and Blends for Pain Relief
And without further a due, here are different essential oils and oil blends for different kinds and areas of pain.
- Headache Blend: Headaches are super fastidious and will really put a dent in your day. Common headaches are usually due to stress, hormonal imbalances, dehydration, etc. and can be easily relieved using a blend of natural oils. We have a little recipe for you here for a roll on headache reliever: 20 drops of peppermint oil, 15 drops of lavender oil, 15 drops of frankincense, and 15 drops of eucalyptus. Fill the rest of your roll-on bottle with grape seed oil. You will want to put this oil blend on your temples, behind your neck, behind your ears, and give the areas a soft massage for 30 to 60 seconds each in order to get the blend directly into your skin and into your system. The ingredients in this blend work really well to relax, refresh, and relieve any strain you might have in your body. They help with headaches in a matter of moments, and will leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Roll this blend onto those special points right when you feel the headache coming on, and a second time depending on how your headache feels after around 20 minutes. Also, stay hydrated and take a walk outside if you can. These things also help relieve headaches naturally!
- Stomach Ache: No one likes suddenly feeling a stomach ache. They are pesky and can be quite severe sometimes. Stomach aches can be eased and calmed easily with a blend of just 4 essential oils. This blend is good for adults that have a stomach ache, since children still have much more sensitivities to essential oils (and frankly everything else). This blend consists of 1 drop of cardamom oil, 1 drop of orange oil, and 1 drop of peppermint oil. Add these to a 10 ml roll on bottle and top it off with pure coconut oil. Roll on to your body, and you will feel the relief in no time.
- Menstrual Pain: There are many different essential oil blends for this kind of pain, so you can find the perfect one for you. Many of them help with the inflammation, bloating, and intense muscle spasms that happen; while others help to relax the area and the mind, and ease the pain that way. We will give you one recipe for both those kinds of relief! 1) Mix 2 drops of lavender oil and 2 drops of rose into 5 ml of sweet almond oil, and massage the affected area (lower abdomen, around the front of the hips, lower back, etc.) twice to three times a day. This recipe will help relax the area and will relieve the pain slowly by reducing the intensity of the cramping. 2) Mix 2 drops of lavender oil, 1 drop of clary sage oil, and 1 drop of marjoram oil into 5 ml of jojoba oil. Rub into your affected areas in the morning and at night. You will feel almost immediate pain relief, as this one actually helps minimize the intense cramping and muscle spasms, and controls bloating and inflammation in the area. Also, exercising a little before and during periods helps regulate pain and helps the bleeding out quicker. Eating healthy, staying hydrated, and staying warm actually help periods as well!
- Muscle Pain: Many things can cause muscle pain or discomfort, and normally it is due to over working the muscle in ways you are not used to, like when you work out for the first time in a while, or when you pull it in some way. Many times a hot bath, a warm shower, a massage, or a stretching session can do the trick, but it is also good to assist your body in ridding itself of the pain by using a blend of essential oils. That way you are getting rid of inflammation, relaxing the area, easing some pain, and allowing it to heal itself without it causing you too much discomfort. This oil blend allows your muscle to relax, eases inflammation, and eases the pain that can come from hurting a muscle. Mix 4 drops of roman chamomile oil, 4 drops of lavender oil, 3 drops of peppermint oil, and 1 drop of clary sage oil to 4 ounces of carrier oil (coconut oil, shea butter, or jojoba oil are recommended). Rub this blend onto the areas that hurt, and massage for a while, until the oil is absorbed into your skin; we recommend applying it onto the area when it begins to hurt, about 2-3 times a day in moderate doses. You will feel instantly relaxed, and you muscle pain will subside in no time.
- Joint Pain: This kind of pain can actually be quite severe and can cause someone a great deal of discomfort throughout the day. It is truly an unfortunate pain to have to go through. Luckily, there are essential oils for joint pain and joint inflammation. These are really good for easing the pain, and helping you regain the normal movement ability you had before the joint pain. This specific blend is great for relief that will last all day. It is quite great if you apply it in the morning when you start your day that way it goes smoothly from start to finish. Mix 10 drops of wintergreen oil, 10 drops of eucalyptus oil, 10 drops of frankincense oil, 10 drops of lemongrass oil, 8 drops of lavender oil, and 4 drops of orange oil into 2 tablespoons of coconut oil as a carrier oil. You will feel relief all day, and you will be able to begin to move more freely in no time.
If you would like to know more about essential oils and different ways they benefit our bodies, please see the rest of our blogs. To support this blog, we recommend “Using Essential Oil Topically”, “Essential Oils for Beginners”, and “Essential Oils for Kids”. Otherwise, we recommend you see our products and what we have to offer. Read about us and our products in the “About Us” tab.
Also, please contact us if you’d like to know any additional information about our products or blogs. We always love hearing from our customers and always want to know how we can improve our service towards you. We cherish your preference and are always here to make your experience buying essential oils the best it can be. So, please give us a call and let us know what you think! We’d love to hear from you!